Water Quality Specialist 1
SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, administers Rainier View Water Company’s water quality and water sampling requirements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform water sampling per DOH regulations, EPA and Federal Safe Drinking Water Act; record and maintain all records related to water quality sampling.
- Prepare and organize water sample bottles, containers, and related tracking documents; collect water samples from wells, distribution systems, and water treatment facilities.
- Deliver water samples to the laboratory for analysis; ensure the required documentation for each sample is complete and correct; monitor sampling schedules daily to ensure the timely completion of sampling.
- Inspect sample sites and perform repairs or upgrades as needed.
- Flush distribution systems and maintain system flushing records; respond to inquiries from customers related to water quality.
- Support the relationship between Rainier View Water Company and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors, the public and city staff; maintains confidentiality or work related issues and company information.
- Operate and maintain chlorine pumps.
- Handle hazardous materials.
- Monitor and record chlorine residuals throughout the distribution systems.
- Monitor and record overall operation and security of well sites.
- Operate motor vehicles.
- Perform duties after hours / On Call when scheduled.
- Perform basic computer / smart phone functions.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience guidelines:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid WA state driver’s license.
- Obtain WDS certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Obtain flagger certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Obtain first aid certification within 1 year of hire date.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed both in an indoor and outdoor work environment. Incumbent must submit to random drug screening. Incumbent may be exposed to extreme weather conditions, heavy machinery, electrical hazards and hazardous materials. Incumbent may be required to traverse uneven surfaces. Incumbent may be exposed to situations that require proper personal protective equipment. Physical demands consist of sitting, standing walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling. Use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls as well as lifting and carrying moderately heavy barrels boxes a or tools of up to 50 pounds and 150 pounds with assistance. Incumbent frequently works near moving mechanical parts. Incumbent must be able to see and hear in the normal range, with or without correction. Incumbent must be able to communicate verbally and in written form with great facility. Incumbent must have the stamina to work long hours and overtime, if assigned, and must be willing to work an irregular schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays, and or varying shifts.