Water Maintenance Journeyman
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs various functions in support of Rainier View Water’s distribution systems. Performs heavy physical labor and a variety of manual tasks. Performs skilled work involved in the construction and maintenance of water facilities, and equipment. Operates and maintains heavy equipment such as backhoes, and excavators. Operates and maintains commercial vehicles such as dump truck and trailer.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform customer service activities, turn water service on and off at the customer’s residence; respond to customer complaints and prepare reports.
- Perform water meter maintenance, testing, and repair; replace or install water meters.
- Perform maintenance of water meter boxes; replace, clean, install, and repair water meter boxes and lids.
- Operate fire hydrants to flush the water system and check pressure.
- Perform inspections, cleaning and basic service of assigned equipment.
- Perform installations, maintenance, and repair of water service lines, water mains, pumps, and valves.
- Perform carpentry and cement work, cut and replace concrete and asphalt.
- Perform traffic control procedures.
- Operate motor vehicles (must provide 5 year driving abstract).
- Serve as an on-call responder on a rotation basis.
- Support the relationship between Rainier View Water Company and the general public.
- Perform manual labor for extended periods of time.
- Operate equipment such as; heavy equipment, air compressors, jack hammers, and a variety of power and hand tools.
- Operate and maintain heavy equipment such as commercial vehicles, backhoes, and excavators.
- Interpret drawings, maps, and plans.
- Project management.
- Perform maintenance and repairs on fire hydrants.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid WA state driver’s license.
- Three years of water maintenance experience.
- Be able to respond to after-hours incidents within 40 minutes.
- Possess WDS certification.
- Possess CCS certification.
- Obtain Class A CDL within 6 months of hire date.
- Possess flagger certification.
- Possess first aid certification.
- Possess fork lift certification.
- Water distribution operations, facilities, equipment, and materials.
- District boundaries, including meter, water line, hydrant and valve locations.
- Permit/Non-permit confined space entry.
- Operation and maintenance of pressure reducing valves and equipment.
- SCADA functions and networking.
- Electrical wiring, diagrams, controls, testing instruments, and associated safety protocol.
- Using initiative, discretion and judgment within established procedures guidelines and rules.
- Defining problem; establishing facts and drawing valid conclusions.
- Managing situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
- Inspecting and diagnosing water service and fire hydrant problems.
- Reading, drawing, updating and interpreting various maps, plans, drawings and logs.
- Operating power driven equipment.
- Using hand and power tools.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with supervisors, employees and the general public.
- Communicating effectively, in both verbal and written form.
- Water main maintenance, repair and replacement.
- Water service and fire hydrant maintenance, repair and replacement.
- Heavy equipment (backhoe, excavator) operations.
- Operating Dump truck and trailer.
- Operating personal computer and various software applications.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in an outdoor work environment. May be required to climb ladders and work in trenches. May be exposed to extreme weather conditions, and dangerous machinery. Physical demands consist of sitting, standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. Use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and lifting and carrying moderately heavy boxes up to 50 pounds and 150 pounds with assistance. Incumbent wears personal protection as well as protective footwear. Incumbent must be able to see and hear in the normal range, with or without correction. Incumbent must be able to communicate both verbally and in written form with great facility and must be able to be understood. Incumbent must have the stamina to work long hours and overtime. If assigned, must be willing to work irregular schedule, which means weekends, holidays, evenings, and/or varying shifts. Plan and manage projects from design through completion. Work directly with Water Maintenance Field Lead to facilitate scheduling and implementation. Direct and lead small crews of Water Maintenance Field Worker 1 &2’s. Incumbent will be required to help develop and train other personnel.